Sunday, May 24, 2015

[YummyBakes] Japanese Dark Pearl Chocolate Birthday Cake

Japanese Dark Pearl Chocolate Cake

First time baking a whole cake for Birthday occasion. Made this last week for my sister's birthday. My family love chocolate cake. So, I decided to bake Japanese Dark Pearl Chocolate cake as the base. 


Homemade Blueberry filling

Adapted the recipe from Nasi Lemak Lover. She also made it as a birthday cake and added simple decorations to it. I decided to make the cake look lovely and keeping it simple. For this cake, I think that blueberry filling is suitable. I made my own blueberry filling, but of course can be bought from store. 

Chocolatey and yummy

I don't have a proper cake stand and scrapper. I tried my best to have the fresh cream frosting as smooth as possible with a offset angled spatula. I also don't have a cake leveler. It was quite difficult to slice the cake and so I only sliced it to two layers instead of three. But well, hope I will get used to it. It was a great experience baking and decorating a birthday cake by myself for the first time. 


Makes a 7" round cake

Ingredients

For the cake
3 medium egg yolk 
35g corn oil
50g fresh milk
70g dark chocolate ( I used Lindt dark chocolate bar)
35g cake flour
15g coco powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder

3 egg whites
45g caster sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Blueberry filling
120gm fresh blueberries
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water

Fresh Cream Frosting
200gm non-dairy whipping cream (I used Toppin Pride brand)

Directions:


1. Melt chocolate over simmering water. Set aside.
2. Whisk egg yolks, and then add in corn oil. Combine well.
3. Add in milk and the melted chocolate. Stir well.
4. Sift in flour, coco powder, baking soda and baking powder and combine. You will get a super thick batter. Do not panic! It is fine.
5. In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites with lemon juice with an electric hand mixer till bubbles appear. Gradually add in sugar. Beat at speed 3 for 5 to 6 minutes till almost stiff peak.
6. Whisk and combine 1/3 of the meringue. It is ok to deflate it now.
7. Using a spatula, fold in the remaining meringue lightly.
8. Pour batter to a lined-bottom baking tin and bake at 170C for 40 minutes. 

Blueberry Filling
1. Place blueberries in a saucepan in small to medium heat. 
2. Add sugar and lemon juice. Stir until it thickens a little. 
3. Add water and continue stirring and till it becomes like jam texture. Remove and set aside. (You may keep in the fridge for better texture)

Fresh cream topping
1. Place the non-dairy whipping cream in a bowl. (Remember to thaw for 8 to 10 hours from freezer before whipping) 
2. Beat the whipping cream with an electric hand mixer for 7 minutes at speed 4 till stiff peak.
3. Keep in the fridge before you start decorating the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *