Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Orange Chiffon Cake (without cream of tartar)


At first I was thinking of making green tea chiffon cake but I couldn't find green tea powder in Bake With Yen last Saturday. Got to wait for them to restock the green tea powder.

And so, I decided to go for Orange Chiffon Cake. I didn't make this before. I only did Chocolate Chiffon Cake but that time I bake it in a square baking tin instead of a chiffon tin. It turns out not as good as those baked in chiffon tin. This time, I use the 22cm chiffon tin I bought from Bake With Yen a couple of weeks ago. It was good. No leaking from the bottom. :)



I had 2 oranges left in the fridge. Afraid that it might not enough for me to make the chiffon cake, I decided to get more oranges from Tesco Paradigm Mall.

I found several recipes online but most of it requires either cream of tartar or lemon juice. My mum's recipe is more straight forward. No need those extra ingredients. So I decided to follow her recipe. :)



Using 22cm chiffon tin


Ingredients:

2 medium oranges, juiced (will note down the measurement in ml next time)
1 tbsp orange rind
6 Large Eggs, room temperature
150gm all purpose flour
110gm castor sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp cooking oil or corn oil

Directions:

1. Separate egg whites and yolks to two mixing bowls. (IMPORTANT: Avoid water and oil in the egg whites! Else the meringue will not form nicely!)

Egg Yolk batter
2. Mix baking powder and flour together. Sift them into the bowl with egg yolks. (Leave the egg whites for later.)
3. Add in half of the sugar, oil, and orange rind. Combine well with a balloon whisk. 
4. Slowly add in the orange juice and stir. The mixture will turns runny, but not too much. Make sure it is not too thick as well. The batter should flow easily.


5. Stir until there are no lumps. Set aside.

Egg Whites meringue
6. Beat the egg whites at medium speed until big bubbles appear. Slowly add in remaining sugar. Continue to beat with high speed until the meringue is hard. The meringue shouldn't fall when turn the bowl upside down.


7. Pour in 1/3 of the orange (egg yolk) mixture to the meringue. Stir very lightly with a balloon whisk. Continue to pour the remaining mixture slowly and fold it in the meringue. (Some people do it another way where they scoop the meringue into the egg yolk mixture. You can do it that way too).
8. Pour to the chiffon tin. Bake at 180C for 40 minutes. (When a "lidi" inserted in, it should come out clean. If not, bake slightly longer.)
9. IMPORTANT: Cool it by turning the chiffon tin upside down.





This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe


4 comments:

  1. wow!!! I am amazed at how tall your cake is even without the cream of tartar!!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice,
    I love chiffon cake.
    I bet your taste delish!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy reading your recipes too. All of them looks good! :D

      Delete

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *